Benowa State High School is regarded as one of the most vibrant Performing Arts schools on the Gold Coast. The dance department has a strong presence in the local community and a reputation for outstanding productions. At this school we set the bar high and our students consistently achieve their best in a supportive and encouraging environment.
Dance is an important human activity through which students can capture and express ideas, learn about other cultures, develop self confidence, improve social skills, enhance physical wellbeing and develop an appreciation of other artistic forms.
You should choose this subject if you have an interest in:
- expressing your ideas about the world
- you have a passion for dancing
- you want to improve your flexibility and fitness.
- Dance Excellence (Year 7, 8 and 9)
- Preparation for Senior Dance (Year 10 Dance)
- ATAR Dance (Year 11 and 12)
- BDC – Benowa Dance Company – Certificate III in Dance (starting in 2023)
Achievements in Art at Benowa
- 2021 - 1st Place at Future Stars Dance Competition (Contemporary dance)
- 2021 – 3rd Place at Future Stars Dance Competition (Fosse Jazz)
- Nominated for Best Choreography in a musical – Gold Coast theatre award – High School musical, Back to the 80s
- Winner of Gold Coast Eisteddfod High School Dance Groups - Vogue
Why Study Dance?
Dance teaches our students to innovate, create, work in teams, be adaptable, problem solve, be flexible, communicate clearly, management their time, develop their emotional intelligence, be goal orientated, learn about world history through various dance styles. It also explores the joy of using your body to communicate a story, theme or emotion, and the long-term benefits of using movement for fitness, exercise and mental wellbeing.
Benowa SHS works closely with professional studios and dance companies on the Gold Coast, nationally and internationally.
What is Dance Excellence?
Dance at Benowa has two distinct parts, Dance Excellence in the junior school and The BDC (Benowa Dance Company) in the senior school. Dance Excellence is a specialist program that is entered by audition, based on dance skills, dreativity, general school results and an excellent record of effort and behaviour.
Within Dance Excellence, students watch, analyse, learn, create, perform, choreograph and write about global dance forms. Jazz, hip hop, contemporary, lyrical, post-modern, musical theatre, commercial jazz, ballroom, latin, swing dance, social dances, and popular dance styles.
Performances in the community at primary schools, daycare centres, aged-care facilities and school assemblies encourage the development of technical and artistic skills.
What is BDC? Does it Start in Year 10?BDC – Stands for the Benowa Dance Company.
It begins in Year 10 when students have developed the maturity and self
determination to set personal goals to achieve their potential. Students participate in the styles of cheer, ballroom, contemporary/lyrical, dance film, commercial
jazz, hip hop, can can and Bollywood.
The BDC offers dancers the opportunity to have industry experiences through the development of dance works to enter into eisteddfod and competitions. An experience weekend away, viewing a live dance work and participating in dance classes with industry professionals is an important learning experience in this course of study.
Can I Choose Multiple Art Subjects in Senior?
Yes! The BDC begins in Year 10 and incorporates the study of Dance with a university pathway or vocations as listed below. Commencing in 2023, Certificate III in Dance (VET course – tertiary or work pathway) will be introduced. Students are given the opportunity to immerse themselves in dance in the Senior school by selecting both options of study. The benefits of the Cert III in Dance allowing students to bank 8 credit points toward their QCE.
What are some of the careers dance leads to?
- Stage Management/Production Crew
- General Arts Administration
- Yoga/Pilates/Dance studio teacher
- Dance photographer/videographer
- Personal trainer/coach
- Group fitness instructor (gym/F45/Zumba)
- Cruise/ Cabaret Performer
- Lighting Designer/Set Designer
- Company Managing/Administration
- Physiotherapist / Physical Therapist
- Kinethetic Therapist
- Costume designer
- Preschool teacher
- Primary or High School Dance Teacher
- Child care