The Certificate III in Fitness provides graduates with the skills and knowledge they need to perform the role of a fitness instructor who undertakes a range of activities and functions within the fitness industry, or those who simply enjoy being active and would like to learn new skills to apply to their own personal health and fitness. Developed in consultation with Binnacle (RTO 31319) and taught by our qualified staff at school and supported by industry experts the Cert III Fitness will teach you the essential skills to kick-start a career in the fitness industry.
Because the course specialises in gym instruction, you will learn how to:
- Fitness screen and assess new clients
- Monitor a client’s fitness level and development
- Provide fitness training to a single client or group of clients in a supervised and low risk setting
- Provide advice on exercise and exercise equipment
- Perform administration duties of the fitness centre or gym
- Deliver first aid.
Some of the topics you will study include:
- Anatomy and Physiology and the basics of Exercise Science
- Client screening and assessment
- Principles of healthy eating
- Instructing exercise
- Planning exercise
- Exercise for Special Populations clients such as older adults
- First Aid
- Fitness Course Instructor Specialisations
The Certificate III in Fitness is a true ‘hands-on’ experience requiring students to learn through doing. In a general week the three sessions will be split between one concentrated theory lesson, one practical lesson that will embed the theory and a practical session (normally in a gym) that will focus on increasing students depth of knowledge by actually being the participants .
Assessments are designed to provide learners with opportunities to demonstrate they have attained the required skills and knowledge using a range of practically based activities and tasks, as required by recognised standards.
Students will also complete a short course: HLTAID003 - Provide First Aid and CPR.
The cost of the course is approx. $300 per year. This fee covers the administration fee for Binnacle, course materials, use of external facilities and instructors, bus hire to travel to gyms and equipment.
The future pathways for this course are:
- Workers qualified at a Certificate III in Fitness level are primarily employed as gym or group instructors in a fitness or leisure facility.
- A study pathway to the Certificate IV in Fitness.
- Preparation for further study and vocational skills with development of study and research skills, language and literacy skills, communication skills, time management, planning and managing projects, interpersonal skills and the development of techniques.
16 Units of competency comprising of 9 core units and 7 elective units.
Certificate III in Fitness-SIS30315
- SISFFIT001 - Provide health screening and fitness orientation
- SISFFIT002 - Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
- SISFFIT003 - Instruct fitness programs
- SISFFIT004 - Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
- SISFFIT014 - Instruct exercise to older clients
- SISXCCS001 – Provide quality service
- SISXFAC001 - Maintain equipment for activities
- SISXIND001 - Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments
- SISFFIT006 - Conduct fitness appraisals
- SISFFIT005 – Provide healthy eating information
- HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
- BSBRSK401 - Identify risk and apply risk management processes
- SISFFIT011 – Instruct approved community fitness programs
- SISXIND002 – Maintain sport, fitness and recreation industry knowledge
- SISXENR001 - Respond to emergency situations
SISFFIT001 - Provide health screening and fitness orientation
SISFFIT006 - Conduct fitness appraisals
SISFFIT003 - Instruct fitness programs
SISFFIT002 - Recognise and apply exercise considerations for specific populations
SISFFIT014 - Instruct exercise to older clients
SISFFIT004 - Incorporate anatomy and physiology principles into fitness programming
SISXCCS001 – Provide quality service
SISXFAC001 - Maintain equipment for activities
SISXIND001 - Work effectively in sport, fitness and recreation environments
SISFFIT005 – Provide healthy eating information
HLTWHS001 - Participate in workplace health and safety
BSBRSK401 - Identify risk and apply risk management processes
SISFFIT012 - Instruct movement programs to children aged 5 to 12 years
SISFFIT013 - Instruct exercise to young people aged 13 to 17 years