Adolescence is a time of great change in a student’s life. At different stages of life they may be more comfortable talking with one person or group over another.
Here at Benowa SHS we have an amazing support network available for students, parents and even staff. Below is a brief outline of what we offer.
Student Support Hub
This is your one stop shop for all things support related. Here you can find our guidance officers, chappy, psychologist and social worker. You can make appointments with any of them as well as our GP who is on campus on Fridays.
If you need guidance regarding course work, course selection or if there are any issues that have not been dealt with at a classroom level you can contact any of the following: Teacher, Head of Department, Head of Senior Schooling or Guidance Officers.
From time to time we all experience difficult events in our lives. Adolescence can be a period when there are ups and downs in moods and attitudes, coupled with the process of transitioning into the adult world and the challenges that comes with that. We have a range of people who can help in this area including:
- Guidance officers (Monday through Friday)
- Psychologist (Monday and Tuesday)
- Chappy (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Social Worker (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
Some of the types of issues that we can assist with include:
Our Guidance Officers, HOD of Senior Schooling and our Industrial Liaison Officer play key roles in the school assisting students plan a future career path. They offer the opportunity for students to investigate possibilities beyond school via University, TAFE, ADF and other providers presenting on our campus and excursions to their campuses.
These staff can assist students to pursue scholarships, enrichment courses at University (e.g. GUESTS at Griffith, Head Start at Southern Cross and Student for a Semester at Bond), the School’s program at TAFE and early/direct entry into university and TAFE.
Furthermore, students and their families can book individual sessions with any of these people to discuss and explore career pathways; simply contact the Student Support Office to organise an appointment time.
To assist the exploration process the following links are very valuable:
- THE GOOD UNIVERSITIES GUIDE — CAREERS - A career information resource that provides an in-depth look at more that 400 occupations and their education and training pathways.
- MYFUTURE - a national career exploration website which assists individuals to plan their careers. The website includes comprehensive tools to help identify interests, skills, needs, occupational requirements and education and training providers.
- QTAC - queensland tertiary adissions centre access point to apply for Uni/TAFE places and comprehensive information regarding tertiary pathways
- HUMANSERVICES - formerly centrelink. Important website regarding student income support
- GRADUATECAREERS - information about career destinations.
Peer support program
Need a friend to talk to when things are tough?
- Feeling lonely?
- New student to the school?
- Adjusting to school life?
- Friendship problems?
- Struggling with classes?
- Nothing to do during lunch break?
The Peer Support Team can help.
Peer Support Leader Program
Peer Support Leaders
Benowa iCARE Peer Support Program is a program by students for students and provides our school community with an evidence based peer led approach, to enhance the mental, social and emotional wellbeing of our young people. It empowers young people to support each other and contribute positively to society.
View the Peer support leader brochure (PDF, 344KB)
Further Support Services you can access