At Benowa State High School we are proud of our programs and encourage our students to pursue excellence in all endeavours. We are pleased to offer six merit entry programs within the categories of Academic, Sport and The Arts. Selection into these programs is based on order of merit. With an extensive choice available, prospective students are assured of developing their knowledge and skills and to strive to achieve their best potential.
Year 7 2023 Excellence Program / Merit Entry
- Round 1 now closed
- Round 2 opens Monday 8 August (pending availability).
Year 8 – 11 applications
General things of note:
- Applications for entry to an Excellence Program are subject to the entry process. If the application is successful, you will then be required to complete an Application for Student Enrolment.
- Students who gain enrolment into our school through an Academic Merit Entry, Drama Merit Entry, Visual Art Merit Entry or Sport Merit Entry are placed in mainstream classes. Merit Entry enrolments are
not enrolments into Excellence Programs.
- Students wanting to gain entry into the Music Excellence, Dance Excellence or Drama Merit classes will be required to attend auditions prior to selection.
How do I Apply?
- Complete the application form in full. Each program has specific requirements (for instance an audition/performance, academic exam or sport achievements submission) that form part of the application. Please read the application form thoroughly and submit all requirements for that program.
- IF applicable, pay the non-refundable $100 out-of-catchment application fee by internet banking, details are on the application form.
- IF successful you will receive an offer in an Excellence Program or Merit Entry and to accept this offer the Application for Student Enrolment process begins.
Excellence Program Details
Academic Excellence programs
Students sit 3 x 40 minute sessions with a small break in between each session. The exam is similar to a NAPLAN test. Students are required to bring a pen, pencil, ruler and water bottle. Parents/Carers do not have to remain at the school during the exam. Application forms must be completed and returned along with the required supporting documentation prior to the Academic Exam date, for your student to be eligible to sit the exam.
Sport Excellence Program Entry
Students wanting to gain entry into the Sport Excellence program are required to attend performance-based demonstration of merit prior to selection. Information regarding the performance-based demonstration will be emailed after you have submitted your Year7 Excellence Program/Merit Entry Application form.
The Arts Excellence/Merit Programs
Include Dance Excellence, Music Excellence, Drama Merit and Visual Art Merit.
Students applying for Music Excellence, Dance Excellence or Drama Merit classes are required to attend auditions prior to selection. Audition registration links are emailed to eligible students once their application is successfully submitted.
Audition dates in 2022
- Dance - Tuesday 3 May and Thursday 5 May
- Drama - Tuesday 3 May
- Music - Thursday 5 May and Friday 6 May
Visual Art applicants must submit a portfolio of work. All information can be found on the application form.
Academic program for outstanding students with a passion for language. Join the World Champion School in French language, visit France and be inspired.
(Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Calling all future engineers, innovators and medical professionals…be challenged to extend your thinking and hone your skills.
Creativity and inspiration abound in a program that fosters independent thought and creates opportunities for intelligent sharing of ideas.
Inspiring and challenging our talented dancers with a program taught by highly trained and experienced teachers.
Outstanding instruction through award winning programs to inspire young performers.
Extending our best athletes to national level through an outstanding program led by highly experienced teachers