- Dates for 2021 Cluster Days as yet to be confirmed.
Three Carnivals for Homestead swimming, athletics and cross-country are scheduled during the year.
The school does not have insurance to cover injury sustained to students during school activities. Parents are advised to take out their own cover if they wish.
Three Carnivals for Homestead swimming, athletics and cross-country are scheduled for the dates below during the year. Please note; these dates are subject to changing weather conditions. Where changes occur you will be advised ASAP.
Swimming – Term 1, 2021
Cross Country – Term 1, 2021
Athletics – Term 2, 2021
Permission for Participation in Benowa SHS Sports Events & Associated Transport Form
In readiness for 2021 Sport, we are asking parents/guardians to complete and return their 2021 Permission for Participation in Benowa SHS Sports Events and Associated Transport form. This is a ‘once-off’ form that will give permission to allow for the participation of your child in sports activities for the year and transport to and from school.
- Homestead Carnivals and associated transport:
- Cross Country
- Track & Field
- HPE lessons conducted offsite at venues within walking distance (e.g. Sir Bruce Small Park, Rosser Park)
- High Risk activities undertaken as part of the HPE Program
- A separate notification for these activities will be provided as identified by the Department of Education risk assessment process
- Sports that sit outside of the Homestead Carnivals and HPE program (e.g. Co-Curriculum programs such as Volleyball and Touch Football)
- Interschool/School sport
Electronic forms can be downloaded under Related Links (right hand side of this page). Please return your forms via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or via the Student Services window.
Broadwater Regional Sport
Benowa SHS is part of the Broadwater district. Students must trial at Broadwater if they wish to be considered at the South Coast trial. They must register with the Director of Sport prior to the nomination date listed on the Student Notices. Sports are advertised to students using the Sports Noticeboard (outside the sports hall), the Student notices (electronic) and the website (see right for Broadwater Calendar). If they are unable to attend the Broadwater trial, students can apply for an exemption. Please refer to the Broadwater Selection Policy below;
In order for students to be selected in a Broadwater District team, they must be in attendance at the District Trials. The only exception to this is where:
*Students are away at a sporting event of a higher level (in one of the sports approved by Qld School Sport). The District Trial Convenor must be notified of this prior to the start of the Trial.
**Students have a medical certificate that is supplied to the Convenor prior to the start of the trials, covering the regional trial date.
Where there is no district trial (paper nominations), students must still nominate so they can be forwarded to relevant regional convenor
South Coast Regional Sport
Following the Broadwater trial, successful students will be provided with South Coast trial information. It is imperative that students and parents follow the below process to ensure their place at the trial.
- Parents/Students will need to fill out the South Coast online booklet, print and bring it to the Director of Sport ASAP in order to have it approved (this booklet will then be returned to the student)
- You will need to ensure that you pay online prior to the trial (No payment = no trial). Payment details will be distributed at the Broadwater trial.
- On the day of the trial, you must;
- Organise your own transport to and from the trial
- Ensure that your child has the completed booklet (No booklet = no trial)
- Advise Student Absences using the details below to confirm your child is attending the trial
- SMS: 0429 318 486
- Email: email@example.com
Trials that may be cancelled or postponed due to weather or unforeseen circumstances will be posted on the South Coast Facebook page usually by 7:00am the day of the trial.
Please contact the Director of Sport, Ashley Passmore on firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Accolades Outside the School Sport Pathway
Here at Benowa SHS we are spoiled for athletic talent and often, this talent falls outside of the school sport pathway. We would love to hear about out students achievements in whatever sport they participate in. Please email your child’s achievements to the Director of Sport (email@example.com) so we can celebrate their accomplishments.
Accident insurance cover for students
Some school activities and physical education, particularly contact sports, carry inherent risks of injury.
Parents are advised that the department does not have Student Accident Insurance cover for students.
If your child is injured at school as a result of an accident or incident, all costs associated with the injury, including medical costs, are the responsibility of the child, parent or caregiver.
Some incidental medical costs may be covered by Medicare. If parents have private health insurance, some costs may also be covered through the private health insurance. Any other costs would be borne by the parents.
Student Accident Insurance is an insurance policy that pays certain benefits in certain circumstances should your child have an accident.
It is a personal decision for parents as to the types and levels of private insurance they arrange to cover their child for any accidental injury that may occur.
Parents should contact their insurer or an approved Australian insurance broker for more information about student personal accident insurance cover for their child.