State High School is regarded as one of the most vibrant Performing Arts
schools in South East Queensland. The
Dance Department has a strong presence in the local community and a reputation
for outstanding production.
What is Dance Excellence?
Excellence provides talented Junior Secondary dance students the opportunity to
pursue high level dance training in contemporary, jazz, hip hop and other world
dance styles, guided by expert specialist dance teaching staff.
Excellence strives to develop each student by providing a thorough grounding in
all aspects of dance including:
- high level dance training
- choreographic exploration
- live performance opportunities
- improving co-ordination and muscle tone
- exploring creativity
- building strength to improve self esteem
- developing self-discipline, physical fitness and poise
- developing musical concepts and appreciation
- achieving technical excellence and artistic qualities
- improving literacy through an appreciation of dance as an art form
- developing cognitive techniques
- developing teamwork and versatility.
Places within our Dance Excellence Program are
offered each year to students through an audition process. Students must exhibit talent and ability
along with a strong work ethic and student performance is monitored
regularly. Students must display
suitable behaviour and effort across all subjects whilst in this program as
these characteristics are essential for students to be able to undertake the
rewarding demands and advantages this program has to offer. The school, in consultation with families
reserves the right to withdraw students from this program at any time.