At Benowa State High School we teach an internationalised curriculum with global perspectives. Learning a Language other than English enriches the whole learning experience.
Learning a language is compulsory for all students in Year 7. Students in Year 7 will study one of the following:
In Years 9, 10, 11 and 12 students may elect to continue with their language choice here or choose another language via
Brisbane School of Distance Education(conditions apply).
Why learn a language?
Globalisation is already well underway! It is affecting not only where, when and how we do business, but many other areas of our lives as well.
People learn languages for a number of different reasons or purposes.
- Work or career
- Relocation or emigration
- Family and friends
- Study or research
- Studying abroad
Whatever the reason, learning a language opens up doors to many opportunities and benefits. There are many personal benefits from learning another language.
Through the process of learning another language, students have the opportunity to:
- become aware of new ways of expressing thought, helping them to become more innovative and confident problem solvers
- develop a deeper appreciation of their own and other cultures
- develop an openness to new ideas and an appreciation of diversity
- communicate in another language
- develop skills to assist them in all areas of learning
- learn further languages more rapidly
- improve their knowledge of the structure of language which usually produces improvements in understanding and the use of English
- extend their career options.
"A different language is a different vision of life." - Federico Fellini, Italian film director
"No culture can live, if it attempts to be exclusive." - Mohandas K. Gandhi, Indian nationalist and spiritual leader
Education Perfect Language Championships
Benowa SHS have taken out the Education Perfect Languages Championships more than eight times overall since 2011 and we remain undefeated in French.
In 2020, our students answered more than 1.8million questions to beat more than 1000 schools around the world in countries including, New Zealand, England, Malaysia and Hong Kong.
We are extremely proud of our students achievements and dedication to their language studies.
Overseas exchange programs
Students may have the opportunity to extend their language learning through exchange programs, including:
- exchanges with sister schools in France, Italy and Japan
- scholarship opportunities through Global Opportunities - Department of Education International (Dei)
- exchange organisations offering short term programs from 6 weeks to 3 months, or long term programs for 1 year—such as WEP, YFU, Southern Cross, and AIIU
- becoming a host family for an exchange student visiting Benowa SHS
- Education Perfect Language Championships
- French Poetry Competition
- Italian Speaking Competition
- Iwsaki Sangyo Program
- Japan Foundation Video Matsuri
- ACER testing (French Immersion)
- MLTAQ and Griffith University Speech Competition